Family traditions are great ways to develop special moments within a family. Not only do they help reduce anxiety by providing a sense of continuity and consistency, they create memories and help family members connect and attach with one another. Better yet, they are fun, fun, fun!
This holiday season, try creating a new tradition to build togetherness and moments that will last a lifetime.
- Time Capsule. These moments won’t last forever! Capture them forever by recording your children singing their favorite song. It won’t be long before their voices will change forever and this little tune will promise to become your favorite for years to come.
- Family Dinner. Pick one night to allow your children to create the dinner menu and allow them to help you make their favorite dish. Even if it’s just hotdogs and ketchup, the fun will be far better than the meal itself.
- Homemade Gifts. Teach them that holidays are about giving from the heart. Help them make a homemade gift for someone in the family. Sure, we all want the new XBox One, but a sparkly macaroni picture is far more beautiful.
- Talent Show Night. Holiday movies can only go so far. Pick a night for everyone to show off their talents for the family. Create a special space in the living room. Point the lamp lights stage center. Pop some popcorn. Enjoy the show as each family member sings a song, acts out a skit, dances or reads a poem. And remember… this isn’t just kid night. Parents can show their stuff, too!
- Random Act of Kindness. Teach your kids that all of us love to be surprised by the joy of unexpected wonder. Shovel the sidewalk for an elderly neighbor. Bake some cookies for a friend. Bring a warm cup of coffee to the bus driver. Whatever you do… do it together.